Editor’s Note: This is the ninth article in the series: “We’re Glad You Asked” from the Winnsboro Fire Department covering various topics related to fire prevention and safety.
The Winnsboro Fire Department in weeks to come will be increasing community awareness with tips on preventing and escaping home and work fires along with information about smoke detectors and fire extinguisher usage and maintenance. The theme will be “we’re glad you asked.” Thru this media, the department is hoping to have an impact on preventing fires and saving lives in our community.
Fourth of July is just around the corner, are there firework safety tips available?
More fires are reported on Independence Day than any other day of the year and more than half are fireworks related, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
A person should never mix alcohol with fireworks.
The shooter should always wear safety glasses because of possible eye injury.
Have some form of water ready. A person should keep a hose and a bucket of water close at hand. Hose down any duds or fireworks that do not ignite when lit and let them sit for at least 20 minutes before handling.
After the wait time has elapsed, soak the fireworks in a bucket of water for an additional 15 to 20 minutes before disposing of it.
Try not to use matches to light fireworks, but it is recommended to use a multipurpose lighter.
After your celebration, use a hose to wet the ground where the fireworks were lit.
Do not place unused fireworks in the garbage, store them in a cool dry place away from flammable objects or liquids.
Children should not handle fireworks and should be kept under strick adult supervision when viewing them.