The old Shaw School building in southern Concordia Parish has been demolished.
The school building stood on the grounds of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries (LDWF) headquarters for the 69,806-acre Richard K. Yancey Wildlife Management Area.
Classes have not been held in the building since 1966.
According to a School Board resolution adopted in 2009, Abner Maxwell donated a quarter acre of land from his Grand Cut-Off Plantation on November 7, 1939.
The property was to be used as a site for a school.
In 1950, a one-room school was built on the site.
That same year, Maxwell clarified the donation by extending the size to one acre with the understanding that the donation would be void if the school system discontinued use of the site.
In 1957 a new brick school house was constructed on the site.
In 1966, the School Board consolidated the Shaw School District with the Vidalia District and discontinued using the facility for a school or other purposes.
Students at Shaw were then transported to Vidalia schools beginning in the 1966-67 school year. At its closure, the school operated as an elementary for grades 1 through 8, and had an enrollment of 23.
Afterward, the board for a period used the vacant building to store property, including desks.
In 1968, the Grand Cutoff Plantation sold the entire plantation to the LDWF.
LDWF officially gained clear title to the school site property in 2009 when the board passed a resolution to clarify that it no longer claimed ownership of the land and building.