An electric company linesman working in Catahoula Parish was injured after a 14,000-volt shock, authorities said.
The unidentified victim was doing maintenance in a bucket truck near Aimwell on Tuesday when he inadvertently touched a high-voltage line, said Sheriff Toney Edwards. The incident happened around 11:30 a.m.
Deputies were on scene within minutes of the call, Edwards said.
“The worker was treated with first-aid prior to EMS arrival, which was just a few moments after us,” Edwards said. The ambulance, escorted by Edwards’ deputies, rushed the man to an Alexandria hospital.
Ambulance spokesman Shane Scott said The worker was eventually transferred from Alexandria to another hospital for burn care, where he is stable and improving, said Shane Scott, NELA Ambulance spokesman.
“This man’s body was slammed with an enormous amount of electricity yesterday, and this morning, his family is reporting what really just sounds like a miracle,” Scott said.
Edwards credits his deputies and EMS for the fast response and treatment but agreed with Scott.
“God performs miracles every day,” Edwards said. “Everyone was where they were supposed to be yesterday, and God had his hand over all involved.”
The linesman is employed with Jonesville-based Concordia Electric.
“We are proud of our Concordia Electric Cooperative employees for working in such dangerous conditions to restore our electricity during and after storms,” Edwards said.
The accident remains under investigation. No one else was injured.