Friends, family and strangers showed up to offer support to Franklin Parish shooting victim Kelly Kiper Longoria Saturday evening at Patriot Square in Winnsboro.
Longoria, 22, was abducted at a convenience store on her way to work Saturday and taken to outside Gesthemane Cemetery, near Terry Wallace Memorial Park, where she was shot in the head.
Longoria's mom, Lisa Kiper, shared an update on her condition Sunday morning.
"The doctor says he is a little encouraged," Kiper said via Facebook. " (Her) brain is still swelling, but that is to be expected. She is responding when stimulated, even giving a thumbs-up on one side. They are keeping her heavily sedated. She needs rest and quiet and time for healing to begin... Just waiting and praying and waiting and praying. God is in this."
Kevin Mathis, 35, was booked into the Franklin Parish Detention Center Saturday on charges of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping. He is being held on a $1 million bond.
"This is a great tragedy for Franklin Parish," Franklin Parish Sheriff Kevin Cobb said. "We ask for prayer for her and her family in this extremely trying time."
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive an email newsletter alerting you to the top news stories and sports stories from The Ouachita Citizen, The Franklin Sun and the Concordia Sentinel each week? Sign up today!
It’s officially time for some holiday cheer at The Wellspring’s Annual Christmas Tree Lighti… Read moreWellspring's Christmas tree offers way to share holiday cheer
- OCS vs. Glenbrook features battle of streaks
- MARTIN: Balls bouncing earlier than usual for parish squads
- Zachary's big fourth quarter propels Broncos to win over West Monroe
- OCS stops Glenbrook's two-point try to hold on to quarterfinal victory
- Finister makes impact as freshman
- Union stymies Sterlington's offense in rematch
- School Board member, parent square off
- Warrant sweep nets 60 arrests
- Neville matches East Ascension's physicality and then some in second round win
- Layton Castle reopens to public with tours beginning in December
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.