Nine for No. 9.
Hunter Wells tied a Bulldog single-game record with nine RBI in an 18-2 runaway victory over Rider in the opener of the Ruston NCAA Regional on Friday night at J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson Park. The third baseman launched two home runs and a pair of doubles for 12 total bases to cap off a historic night in LA Tech's first game as an NCAA Regional host.
The Bulldogs (41-18) tallied their fifth straight game with a double-digit hit total in the rout of fourth-seeded Rider (23-17) to advance to a matchup against No. 2 seed NC State (31-17) on Saturday at 6 p.m.
LA Tech recorded four innings with multiple runs scored to notch the commanding victory over the Broncs. A two-run homer from Wells and an RBI single from Manny Garcia gave the Bulldogs a 3-0 advantage after the first. Wells then broke the all-time Bulldog career hits record with a two-RBI double to right field, extending the Bulldogs' lead to 5-0 after two frames. Wells surpassed T.J. Soto's previous record of 269 career hits with his second of four hits on the night.
"It hasn't hit me yet," Wells said of breaking the all-time Bulldog hits record on Friday. "I'm kind of speechless.
"Some nights it looks like a ping-pong ball. Other nights it looks like a watermelon. It was a watermelon tonight. No doubt."
- MPD arrests West Monroe woman on seven charges
- Monroe woman arrested for battering girlfriend, 1-year-old child
- OPSO arrests West Monroe woman for crack cocaine
- Bayou Jamb 2021 headlined by Neville/West Monroe, OCS/Sterlington matchups
- OPSO stops bicyclist, arrests him for possession of crack cocaine rock
- Ouachita track and field competitor Crockett becomes unlikely star
- West Monroe man accused of stealing from Academy Sports, taking knife into Pizza Hut
- Juneteenth celebration planned in Bastrop on Saturday
- OPSO arrests woman for marijuana, ecstasy possession
- WMPD arrests West Monroe man for crack cocaine possession
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.